For a full tomato flavor and rich red color, fresh Italian plum tomatoes are an excellent choice if they are available. This makes a delightful topping for plain-cooked fresh pasta.
Spinach Fettuccine, cooked and set aside.
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
1 Carrot, chopped
1 Celery, chopped
6 Plum Tomatoes, peeled and chopped
⅔ Cup Red Wine
⅔ Cup Vegetable Stock
1 Bouquet Garni
1 Tsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
Ground Black Pepper
1. Heat oil in pan.
2. Sauté onion and garlic until soft and golden.
3. Add carrot and celery.
4. Saute until all vegetables are golden.
5. Stir in tomatoes, wine, vegetable stock, and bouquet garni.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Bring to a boil.
8. Cover and simmer 45min.
9. Remove bouquet garni and add sugar and tomato paste.
10. Stir with cooked pasta.