Espagnole is a classic rich brown sauce, ideal for serving with red meat and game. It also makes a delicious, full-flavored base for other sauces.
Ingredients – Roasted Lamb
4 Lamb Racks, with 4 chops each
½ Tbsp Paprika
2 Tbsp Salt
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tbsp Oregano, dried
1 Tbsp Thyme, dried
Cooking Instructions – Roasted Lamb
1. Combine paprika, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, and thyme thoroughly.
2. Preheat the grill.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
4. Drizzle olive oil over the lamb chops and season with the spice rub.
5. Grill the lamb chops 1-2min on each side.
6. Remove from grill and roast in the oven for 10-12min.
7. Remove from oven and rest for 5min before serving.
Ingredients – Espagnole Sauce
2 Tbsp Butter
50g Bacon, chopped
2 Shallots, unpeeled & chopped
1 Carrot, chopped
1 Celery, chopped
¼ Cup Plain Flour
600ml Brown Stock
1 Bouquet Garni
2 Tbsp Tomato Purée (Paste)
1 Tbsp Sherry
Ground Black Pepper
Cooking Instructions – Espagnole Sauce
1. Melt butter and fry the bacon for 2-3min.
2. Add shallots, carrot, celery, mushroom trimmings; cook for 5-6min.
3. Gradually stir in the flour and cook for 5-10min over medium heat.
4. Remove from heat and gradually blend in the stock.
5. Bring to boil, stirring, until the sauce thickens.
6. Add bouquet garni, tomato purée, sherry, salt, and pper.
7. Simmer for 1hour.
8. Strain and serve.
Tip: This sauce can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or it can be frozen for up to 1 month.